PostSubject: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 am

For some reason they didn't mention it earlier:
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?t=350693

It seems to be rather stupid idea for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 am

I'm not worried about this. Sounds like a good change for those with slower machines. This is already implemented in DDO where you can choose for example Harbour 1, 2, 3, 4 and Marketplace 1, 2, 3, 4 from a drop-down menu if you want to change "instance" and find your buddies. These are busy areas.

Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:27 am

I've seen it being discussed lots. I think it has its pros and cons.

Good thing is of course that places like Bree, 21st hall and other big hubs should become a lot less laggy. If they are really expecting massive inflow of new players with f2p, the lag would be horrible (I personally ain't a fan of lag so I don't mind some amount of layering). Bad thing for me is mainly regarding immersion. The fact that you and your friend may be standing 2 inch from each other in the same location but you won't be able to see each other because you are in "different worlds". That can be easily solved by forming a group and moving the whole group into the same "world", but the fact remains that due to layers, the chance for random (rp) encounters drops significantly.

Afaik the layers are only going to be established in most populated areas, not everywhere. And well, naturally it cannot be made in Ettenmoors because it would be a tad funny if you can't see monsters to fight Very Happy

And yes like Jan said, the layer system works in DDO and it's not that bad, just takes 2 secs to ask in vent "Where are yous" and move over to the same place. I'd rather have this than having to wait for 5 minutes til my screen starts showing overpopulated area, or even worse, my game crashing down because of it.

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Rivorniel
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:42 am

This again seems to create a lot of panic (US forums) before we even know how it will be. If the limit will be 75-100 players I don't think it will affect things much how things look. I don't also get this random (RP) encounter agument. Hell now it's even more random because now you have to get into the same layer. Rejoice! Very Happy

Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 am

Yes, it's going to be even more random because now you get added the criteria of "possibly not bumping into your friends/acquintances at all", because right now everyone who is logged on to the game and are in 21st hall, for example, are highly likely to notice each other, but when we have different worlds, it may happen that someone who I haven't seen for a year or so logs on and I don't get to randomly bump into them because they are in a different world. Point being, I would maybe actually *like* to randomly bump into them for some light RP or such, not talk via tells (in case the person is still in my friends list). It's just an example and of course it is not a big deal, was just trying to describe how and what may change when something in game mechanics is changed.

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:31 am

I see what you mean Riv and you're right. What I said about randomness was to be taken in a humourous way stressing the random part. However, just for fun (ok maybe just for me) if we look at it from a logical sense it still stands. Both encounters are totally random and even if your chance is lower of bumping into them. Three layers would mean a 1/3 chance compared to the random encounter now but still you shouldn't be expecting to bump into someone. This means you won't even notice this because you shouldn't be thinking about bumping into someone. If you're walking around in the layers thinking about all the potential encounters you might encounter or not encounter then it's not really random anymore as you're expecting (or actually even hunting) encounters. You won't know if you run into an old friend or not and you can't miss that (in the longing sense) because you don't where your friend is or is even logged on. You could miss him/her by not being logged on or in a completely different area. Obviously if one had kept statistics over random encounters before and compared those to new ones with layers after say 1 year of playing the numbers would be interesting to see. Just something fun (maybe just for me) to think about. Very Happy

Personally my random encounters have been really low and if some old friend logs on my first idea is to send a tell and say hi instead of waiting to bump into them. Also when I'm running to the bank or craft hall in 21st I hardly look around or 21st Hall in general I'm usually chatting, checking my inventory, legendaries etc. which is why I always miss all these waves and stuff and run past people constantly (I'm like this for real too and always walk past people I know until they stop me and get my attention Smile ). If I want to chat properly I'll head to some better place than 21st Hall. They should really put a tavern there where it would be easier to socialize.

Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 am

I see what you mean and of course it makes a lot of sense like that (as usual).

I don't expect random encounters (indeed they would not be as random then anymore), but I have had plenty of them, which is what my argument is based upon. Something I've experienced which is likely to change when the mechanics change.

My friends list is usually full and I edit it every once in a while, which is why people who have left the game for longer or shorter period get removed from there. There are many people in game that I know and have had contact with but don't have in my friends list at all, nevertheless I am always happy to randomly (are we overusing the word?) see them. For example, some guy called Tinubelin, who tried to charge me for using his name as my character's surname. He never made it to my friends list but we used to chat briefly and I run into him time to time and it's always nice. And it's usually *after* I randomly meet him that we chat in tells, since otherwise I have no idea if he is online, since he is not in my friends list. I just think that likelihood of such nice encouters will somewhat drop when the world gets layered. Aand stressing again, it's not that big of a big deal, just something to think about.

And 21st hall is just an example, same applies for more socializing friendly places such as Bree or CG or whatever suits people the best.

And yes actually maybe I should just arrange my friends list better. Rolling Eyes In that case.

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 am

Yes and like I said you're right. The chance is lower but you shouldn't start to think about this. The amount of random encounters decreasing suddenly might have nothing to with a few hubs being layered. Smile

Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 am

But does the fact that I refuse to think about it mean that it's not there (the chance/likelihood for random encounters that is)? If a tree falls down in a forest and there's no-one to see, does it then mean that it diden't happen at all? Very Happy

Okay that is going waaayy off topic Smile

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:53 am

Yes off-topic but in a fun and rhetorical way. Very Happy

Now a random encounter is always random. If you have them too regularly/often they lose the randomness and become regular encounters. The chance for a random encounter is there even if you think or not think about it for example while standing in Bree. But if you conciously start wondering why you're not having as much random encounters as before you might start doing something differently from normal and thus affecting the pure randomness. A random encounter is only truly random when you don't expect it or have thought about it at all.

*lights his bagpipe and puffs while scratching his chin*

Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

*grabs some popcorn*

Jan, that is just some weird b/p/e [desolation] your doing now, not proper counter argument Very Happy I think we are talking about a bit different things by now Smile You are trying to tell me "it doesn't matter and you should not think about it", I'm trying to say "it doesn't matter but I like thinking about stuffs and the fact remains that the tree's still gonna fall even if you or me ain't there to see it"

*noms*

Very Happy

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:01 am

Ok as I see it we're saying the same thing. Random encounters will happen even if you don't think about them. They're random after all. Smile

Estendir

PostSubject: Re: layered world   Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:06 pm

That made my day:

"If you equip The One Ring you end up in a layer with only 9 other NPCs..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: layered world   

Back to top Go down

layered world
Page 1 of 1