The forum of the Last Banner

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

My predicament...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beoryn

PostSubject: My predicament...   Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:32 pm

As you all well know, I've come and gone a lot on LOTRO, and I think I've finally worked out what my problem is... I'm just finding captain a really mundane class to level. It was fine when I was working through Vol 1 with damage boosts etc, but otherwise it seems to take ages to kill 1 mob, and when I'm just starting Moria, it's taking me forever to get anywhere! I really like the idea of captain in groups and at end game, but I just don't see myself getting there atm.. Any ideas for motivation from the Banner? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janadan

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:25 am

I think there are some kinnies who are running quests through Moria at a similar level to you. Maybe it would be possible to group up with them. Partnerships and groups make Moria easier. Alternatively, I would be happy to join you with any of my characters and maybe add a bit more dps to make life quicker. If there is a particular time you would like to do some quests then by all means let me know.

The other option is skirmishes , which I believe is a quick way of levelling. I haven't done this myself but I have heard others talking about it. Again happy to join in a few skirmishes and maybe we should really arrange a 6 man skirmish night for the kin. The other fun way to do quests is via the instances in Moria. If we can get you to level 56ish then we can start running these. Jacek will curse me but for faster levelling there are bound to be increased xp weekends coming up before Isengard.

Finally optimising your gear may make life more bearable and there should be enough kinnies who are supreme master to help with this.

Seward Leadz 24
Janbash Creepz 5

Gondor! Gondor, between the Mountains and the Sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree
Fell like bright rain in gardens of the Kings of old.
O proud walls! White towers! O wingéd crown and throne of gold!
O Gondor,Gondor! Shall Men behold the Silver Tree,
Or West Wind blow again between the Mountains and the Sea?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rivorniel

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:28 am

I think my captain is about as same level as yours and I can confirm about the slowness. Having several capped characters from other classes, the difference becomes even vaster. Seeing DEVASTATE ranging in numbers 40-140, it makes you grab your head and cry of the self pity. And I don't know how other captains do it, but my captain is also the least survivable character I have played, mainly due to SLOW DAMAGE (so they just kill you first) and lack of self heals in comparison. If I pull 1 too many on-level mobs, I am in major trouble instantly, and I never encountered anything similar in case of other classes.

When I play with Jan and Petri (loremaster and hunter), all the stuff dies too fast anyway.

Steve already gave some nice advice on how to improve your captain and make it more bearable (although it will still remain the slowest levelling class), I have nothing else to say other that if you really think of making an alt, it boils down to your personal preferences, largely.

I think most people choose classes based on melee and non-melee, so if melee is your definite preference (like for most guys in the Banner Razz), you have a choice between champion (super fast killing machine everything dies SHINNNNGGGGG never run out of power run from battle to battle... oh, wait - I have no B/P/E so actually not really run from battle to battle unless you run with a healer), guardian (also very fast at [in this case literal] overpower levelling mode; for groups you can return to your fancy-stance and pull out that barn-door sized shield again) or warden (maybe not the fastest, but definitely the sturdiest out of the three, especially if you can bribe yourself a loremaster buddy while running in damage-mode, you are basically in non-stop Lotro-heaven).

Somewhere after the holy trinity of melee dudes and before the ranged casters start kicking in comes burglar, who can certainly dish out some very decent damage, but whom I would not call the fastest leveller, since it takes time to prepare each battle when alone (stealthing and whatnot).

Hunter and runekeeper are the ranged casters, runekeeper probably more survivable than hunter thanks to the ability to heal during and in between the battles, and the ability to cast on the run. Damage wise they both have very high damage (the highest single-target damage in game), but you may have to be a bit careful and pay attention to surviving (more anyway than in case of the sturdy melee-dudes). Minstrels can do huge amounts of burst damage, if traited respectively, and she/he could actually be on level with the previous two, if it wasn't for very high power consumption, which may make her/him slower thanks to power regeneration. Loremaster, as also a support class, are probably not the fastest levellers, but they can do all kinds of jedi-magic flashy tricks with their massive arsenal of different foe-controlling skills, which also makes them a class with high survivability.

Hope I didn't forget any class. Razz

Gerithil, minstrel - 65
Mystle, captain - 49
+ mini alts ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/Rivorniel
Wilgo

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 am

Steve covered some good points and Riv has played nearly every class so her review is solid. Cappies are indeed the worst dps, they have way too few dps melee skills, but they have other nifty tricks and in groups they are very fun to play so keep at it.

I'll give some more game mechanics wise advice. Trait full dps (red traits) and focus everything on might for more melee offense. Also get all the crit rating you can. Use the best possible weapon dps- wise. Not sure what level you are, but get a buffing legendary item which gives more crit rating to your crit tactics buff and max it. I've found it's easier to use crafted weapons and basically skip the legendary weapons until 65 dps-wise because it takes a while to max the dps legacy on them. I can craft weapons for you with Saerid. Try to fight one mob at a time so downtime is faster as your health won't drop so much or use food or buy burst of recovery with destiny points (have to be vip for dp).

If you see someone in your quest area immediately ask to group up. I can't see many who would turn down a cappie. I see pugging your way though quests the fastest option by far. The only problem is you need to find someone, Moria is quite empty these days, but usually there's someone who's around. Us kinnies can of course help with instances and the occasional mini fellowship quest.

Good luck. Smile

Estendir

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:13 am

All I can give you is a tip I received years ago (around lvl 30) from one of the Banners, when I was frustrated playing captain: for leveling max your might and vitality not fate/will. You can also use banner of war and keep your legendary weapon around level. This won't make you a butcher, but it's faster and less frustrating, if you get rallying cry cooldown on emblem, you will have very high endurance, making things easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beoryn

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a go when I get round to giving levelling a good go - Think I need to give myself a week where I can focus on it or something, and try and power on through it.. I'm sure I'll get there one day, around 2014 Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My predicament...   

Back to top Go down

My predicament...
Page 1 of 1